Friday 4 April 2014

Introducing talented sci-fi fantasy author, Deborah O'Neill Cordes!



I'm thrilled to have the wonderful Deborah at Cait's Place today, author of (amongst myriad other fabulous books) Dragon Dawn!! I very much enjoyed Dragon Dawn, writing a review here.  

Dragon Dawn's new UK Kindle Countdown Deal is live! 99 pence all week, from June 3-9.

But don't just listen to me, check out what Serena Clarke said 'Dragon Dawn is smart, complex, wondrous and absolutely fascinating – I loved it. Deborah O’Neill Cordes weaves an amazing tale that encompasses paleontology, space travel, history, paleobotany, time travel, zoology, romance and more. It’s rich in scientific detail, without for a moment weighing the story down. From the biggest of big picture stuff, to the intricacies of human (and dinosauroid) relationships, this magical, thought-provoking book carried me along effortlessly, leaving my head spinning in the best possible way'.




Two Universes, One Soul Divided...


Buy from Amazon UK    Buy from Amazon US
Time snakes between alternate universes.  Ever watchful, an alien intelligence survives on Mars, waiting to be found by spacefarers from Earth.  The alien’s ultimate goal is to send human astronauts back in time, where they will alter the past and thwart the extinction of the dinosaurs.  A race of intelligent dinosaurs, resembling the alien’s extinct species, subsequently evolves to rule the world.  But a human female astronaut, through a strange twist of fate, survives the change in the space-time continuum.  After finding herself in a dinosaurian body, she must race against time – and the formidable alien – to restore the universe to its rightful course. 



 
I knew when reading Dragon Dawn that I would have the pleasure of interviewing Deborah, so folks, grab yourselves a cup of coffee and enjoy! Welcome lovely Deborah.



The first thing I have to ask you is what drove you to write this book?

I felt compelled to write Dragon Dawn because of my interest in science and the wonderful notion of "what if?" I got my first spark of inspiration for this novel over thirty years ago, when the father and son scientific team of Luis and Walter Alvarez discovered evidence a massive comet or asteroid crashed into the Earth and killed over 80 percent of life, including the non-avian dinosaurs. It was dubbed the K/T Event, and recent discoveries pinpoint this mass extinction to 66 million years ago. I pondered what it would have been like had some dinosaur species survived and evolved to intelligence. And what if, through the twists and turns of time travel, the soul of a human female astronaut (Dawn) was placed in the body of a female dinosaurian (Dawann) in a parallel universe? Thirty years later (and with lots of rewrites) Dragon Dawn was born. 

How lovely, so this, in effect, could be termed a life's work :). No wonder it's so good!!  I was impressed by the depth of scientific knowledge contained within; biology, paleontology, archeology, paleoarcheology (to name a few, I jest you not!), the fact that it would take nineteen minutes for messages from Mars to reach Earth etc., how much did you know and how much was research?

When I first started Dragon Dawn, much of the scientific knowledge found in the novel was still unknown, or in the experimental stage. Over time, I kept adding to the story and updating the science, with the intention of publishing it "in a few years." It is fortunate I love doing research, and also that I was given a diverse education. You see, when I was young my father insisted I study to be a physician. For years, I tried to please my dad, even though I had an aversion to blood and gore. I was well on my way to a university degree in zoology, when I rebelled and told myself, "You must follow your heart." I've always loved science, particularly archeology, biology, paleontology, astronomy, and genetics, but the study of history beckoned and would not let go. It was too late for me to switch majors, however, as I was in the midst of my junior year. So I added extra history classes to my already full schedule, and I was just three credits shy of a double major in zoology and history when I graduated, with the goal of getting my master's degree in history (I got my MA after three more years of study). To make this long story a bit shorter and more to the point, my love of history outweighed my interest in science. But things have a way of working out. What I viewed as a mistake early on has turned out to be a most fortunate part of my life, in that I write historical fiction and time travel novels that take place in many different eras – and I also write time travel science fiction. The training I received at the university level in science and history gave me the foundation for writing in a variety of genres. Later on, my father told me he was proud of my decision to follow my own path. My one regret is that he didn't live long enough to celebrate with me when I first got published. 

Ah that's a nice story and I reckon he's seen your publishing success, don't ya fret!!  He'd be very proud of this book, methinks.


Another thing I loved about Dragon Dawn was the multi cultured crew (although I missed the mad Irish person :) ), which fitted in so well with the theme of time travel and new worlds. It was a great touch. 

It made sense for the crew to be comprised of people from different nations and ethnicities. After all, it is a reality of space travel today, given the diversity of the personnel on the International Space Station. My fictional astronaut group on the first mission to Mars consists of a Canadian, a Russian, some Americans, and a Frenchman. That said, I also was inspired by my study of genealogy, and I used some of my family lineages for background information about my characters. For example, the surnames of my heroine and hero – Stroganoff and Granberg – come from my family tree. I have a varied lineage, and it might interest your readers to know I have deep ancestral roots in England, Scotland, and Ireland. Had I been researching those particular branches of my family at the time of my writing, it's possible my leading characters would have had surnames like Leslie, Tilden, Fitzhugh, Winslow, Hucksteppe, Dillon, or Worthington. On a lighter note, I happen to love the actor Keanu Reeves, who has a multi-ethnic ancestry. He is the inspiration for my Canadian astronaut-paleontologist, Harry Wong. If my wildest dreams ever come true, and Dragon Dawn gets a film deal, please, Keanu, please consider playing Harry.  :)

Oh, and thank you for the inspiration, as I'm going to add this in the next novel, Cait – Harry has a wee bit of Irish in him. Yes, he's got O'Neills, Dillons, and O'Sullivans on his mother's side.  :)

A-ha O'Sullivan? We get everywhere...including your home town of Arizona. Speaking of which, were the Sinagua people in Arizona a real people?

Yes, and they were the ancestors of the pueblos tribes living in Arizona today, like the Hopi and Zuni. We will never know what these ancient people called themselves, because they didn't have a written language and leave records. In Spanish "sin agua" means "without water," (ah yeah I see that now) and, in historical times, the name was given to them because they lived in an arid place. I grew up in Northern Arizona and spent many wonderful hours visiting the old Sinagua ruins located near my hometown of Flagstaff. My favorites are the Sunset Crater area and nearby Wupatki National Monument. They're gorgeous sites, with extinct lava fields and cinder cones, the northernmost ball court in the Americas, and a wind cave, like the one described in Dragon Dawn.

I very much wish I had known you when I visited Arizona, would loved to have visited these places. Next time, methinks :).

It struck a cord with me when you said '
their eyes held a bright, childlike sense of wonder, the true mark, in Dawann’s opinion, of all scientists.' I admit to not knowing many scientists, but can see what you mean here and think it's not limited to scientists. DH Lawrence said 'oh for the wonder that bubbles into my soul'  and wonder (!) is it to do with figuring life out, whether it be scientific or spiritual?

Buy from Amazon UK    Buy from Amazon US
Scientists are driven by the quest to discover the secrets of the universe. They must observe, test, and retest until the results of their experiments can be verified as fact. They must also have a sense of wonder and "what if?" in order to question the status quo and go beyond dogma and faith. We live in a remarkable age, in that science has provided us with the answers to many questions pondered by humans since ancient times. In the near future, we may even discover the answers to the remaining great mysteries, such as the origin of our universe, and the possibility of life beyond our planet. Of course, scientists aren't the only ones with a sense of wonder. How many people reading this have looked up at the stars and been filled with awe, or speculated about who is looking back? 

I think if we can retain a child-like wonder, rather than allowing ourselves to be overcome with adult cynicism then the world may be a happier place. (here endeth todays sermon :) ) 

 
I thoroughly admired the work you put in too for the quotes at the start of each chapter!! Which came first, the quotes or the chapter? 

When I started writing Dragon Dawn, the character of the Keeper literally spoke up and convinced me to put his quotes before the opening scenes, so it seemed natural to continue with sayings and poems in the rest of the chapter headings. The Keeper is a forceful being, isn't he? (chalk it down. I was rather envious of Shanash when she met him, wondering instantly what would I ask him?...another blog post methinks!) Regarding whether the chapter or quote came first, I had no set way of doing things: at times I found a quote that provided inspiration for the next scene; at other times I scoured my books or the Internet for a saying that might fit a section I'd just written. Of course, I also had to make certain the poems and quotes were in the public domain, so I could use them in my novel without trampling the rights of my fellow authors.

Phew…it’s something I want to emulate but don’t feel erudite enough to come up with a fresh quote for each of my twenty-seven chapters J

How hard was it to envisage the K/T Event? What research did you do for it?

Hmm, I'll have to think a bit, because I wrote those particular scenes over ten years ago!  I don't recall having a difficult time visualizing the K/T Event. I had the fortune of visiting Washington state in the summer of 1980, right after Mt. St. Helens erupted. I was able to see some of the destruction firsthand, such as the massive amount of ash still visible on the side of the highway. I also looked at films of the flooding in the rivers nearby. This gave me a starting point as I began to write about the appearance of the landscape surrounding my crew's spaceship. As for my descriptions of the comet strike and its aftermath, I used a variety of written sources and also my imagination. 

It worked so very well, I felt I was there. 

I liked that Dawann felt encouraged to look within her for answers and trusted her instinct well enough to follow through. Do you think this is something we are learning not to do in this age of technology?

Buy from Amazon UK    Buy from Amazon US
A lot of Dawann's traits come from my own experiences. I felt comfortable writing about her this way, even though she was descended from dinosaurs and I am descended from mammals. I have had many moments in my life where my instincts have overridden the most obvious or easiest paths. I've learned to trust myself and go with my gut. I believe that trait is fundamental to humans, and would be apparent in other beings. An example of one of these instincts, the so-called sixth sense, now seems to be something genetically passed down to us from our ancient forebears. In the Stone Age, if you could sense something or someone watching you, you might survive predation. However the sixth sense works, the ones with the ability to "feel" the eyes upon them, and who listened, went with their guts, and weren't caught by surprise, were able to fight or run for their lives. Those people survived and passed their genes down to us. Try a little experiment the next time you are a passenger in an automobile. Look at the drivers around you, stare at them hard, and see how many glance your way. It's surprising how many people sense your gaze. I believe there are many instincts that influence our lives. Dawann may have been a dinosauroid, with a completely different and non-mammalian inheritance, but the instincts to discover, adapt, and survive would have been developed in her species as well. And, to answer your last question, I believe technology has changed the way we live, but not the way we think, and certainly not our ancient cravings (i.e. the urge to eat sweets and fat, something that helped our distant ancestors survive the vagaries of a hunter-gatherer existence, yet plagues us because we do not walk vast distances every day, like they did).  And on that note, I'm off to have a cup of tea and some nice, sweet chocolate. :)

Cait, thanks so much for a series of interesting and thought-provoking questions. It was a great mental exercise, and I enjoyed being on Cait's Place. To everyone out there... thank you for your time and consideration. And happy reading! ~ Deborah.


Great mental exercise—just what I like to hear when an author pops in to Cait’s Place :). Totally a pleasure having you here, Deborah, and the very best of wishes to Dragon Dawn. 

I'm sure there will be other questions as this book is multi-faceted, so please, feel free to comment below to ask Deborah anything you like!


Deborah’s bio and website links:

Deborah O’Neill Cordes is an award-winning screenwriter and novelist of historical and speculative fiction. She is the author of the sci-fi time travel novel, Dragon Dawn, Book One of the Dinosaurian Time Travel Series, which blends fields of study she loves in equal measure; Deborah holds a bachelor’s degree in zoology and a master’s degree in history. She is also the co-author of the Morgan O’Neill time travel novels. Deborah resides in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and two West Highland White Terriers, who, alas, are precocious terriers and therefore never white.

Deborah’s website:  http://deborahoneillcordes.com/

Morgan O’Neill website: http://www.morganoneill.com/










29 comments:

  1. Thank you, Cait O'Sullivan, for graciously inviting me to Cait's Place. It's been a joy working with you and getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise, Deborah. I've really enjoyed getting to know you better too :). Let's raise a glass to Dragon Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that Deborah has more than just a love of science but maybe a love of the cosmos. I loved reading this interview...so many great thoughts that went into this story!

    But I have to say, it seems you, Deborah, have a thing for finding out where we came from. Either individually or as a species (human). So I have to ask: if you could go back in time, to what time would you go and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Terri, thank you for a most difficult question. My first inclination is to say I wouldn't be able to decide, but that's a cop out, isn't it? So, here are a few pivotal events of the Stone Age I'd adore witnessing firsthand: 2.6 million years ago - to watch the first human make a stone chopper or blade; ditto the first human fire-making event (although no one is certain when that occurred - it keeps getting pushed back in time and I think the latest evidence may point to 1.8 million years ago); around 32,000 years ago - to see Chauvet Cave and the painting of its walls by Stone Age artists; and finally 12,000 years ago to witness the construction of Göbekli Tepe, the first temple complex built by humans, which predated the temple complexes of other ancient civilizations by thousands of years.

      Delete
  4. Great interview, ladies! Deborah, what's the status of the next book in the series? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, thank you for asking about Dawn of Time. I have the beginning, some of the middle, and the entire ending finished. I plan to resume working on it in June (at the moment, I'm working with Cary on a novella for Morgan O'Neill's Elizabethan series). As soon as the prequel novella is done, I'll get cracking on DOT. I have several scenes with the Lex clone that are in my head, and he's screaming for me to let him see the light of day. :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the interview, ladies. I still find it hard to believe that you came up with such an intriguing premise, Deborah--even when you explain it, I'm asking myself "how"? After the roller coaster (and planetary train wreck on Earth) how do you keep the historical and scientific evens as fascinating and emotionally charged in the next two books as you did in the first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie, the great thing about time travel stories is that I can revisit events again, from different points of view. For example, in the next novel, you'll see the K/T Event through Dawann's eyes. She's trapped in the cave, remember? There's a lot she goes through, while the ash and fire rains down outside. I'll also have extensive sequences on Earth involving the Lex clone, who will play a pivotal role in the rebellion brewing against the Keeper. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview ladies! I don't have a question, but love your overland send best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Was suppose to be love your cover and... Stupid keyboard ,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deborah, I am one of your biggest fans as you know. I love your discussion of sixth sense abilities. I absolutely agree with you and believe our brains continue to develop skills and abilities we have either lost track of ot haven't discovered yet. I love the way reading Dragon Dawn invited the " willing suspension of disbelief"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty, thanks for the kind words. And I agree with you about the sixth sense and age-old "memories." Every time our gazes are captured by fire or water (as in admiring a distant lake, or being mesmerized by a campfire), it's our ancient instincts kicking in, since our ancestors needed to find water to survive and fire to protect them. Whether it's through some kind of ancestral memory or basic instincts hard-wired into our brains, we do remember the distant past.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Deb. One of the things I love about writing is that it gives you the excuse to research all kinds of interesting things for "the book." (And I promise that's what those pages on poisons and blunt-force-head-trauma in my search history are for!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, Irene! Our online research history would certainly raise some flags, that's for sure. lol

      Delete
  12. Deb, you never cease to amaze me as I keep learning more about you. Dragon Dawn is a fabulous read. Yes, I also enjoy staring at other drivers to see if they stare back ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thanks. Oh, and relief - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who stares! :)

      Delete
  13. What fabulous questions, Cait and wonderful, comprehensive answers, Deb. I am a Dragon Dawn tart, pimping it every chance I get...a brilliant story! As others have already said, I am also fascinated by the "where did we come from" question. When my son was about 6 years old it was bedtime and I couldn't find him. I searched everywhere and then went out in the back yard and could see him lying on his back in the dark, looking up at the stars. I went over, sat next to him and asked him what he was doing and he said, "I'm looking for home" and pointed up to the sky. He then put his small hand on his heart and said, "the light came from up there and went in here." **Cue creepy music*** but since then I've believed anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Joanna! I look forward to having you here too :)). Your son sounds like an old soul, getting goosebumps as I read this. How wonderful!

      Delete
  14. Joanna, first let me say in all seriousness that your son must be an amazing man, given the depth of his thoughts at such a young age. I also believe the very young tap into something which older folks may have forgotten, or shunted aside. Cait's question touched on this beautifully, in that we may look for answers with technology and not listen to our inner voices. My grandmother told me another strange story; she recalled walking out of her front door at a very young age (let's say three years old) and thinking, "I wonder what I'll be in my next life?" Now, this is circa 1900 in Massachusetts. She always remembered how shocking that thought was for her, a little girl with no notion of reincarnation or anything remotely like it. There are actual scientific studies that have given rise to speculation our "souls" can survive after death at the quantum level and perhaps can be reborn, in other words, our consciousness may not be lost. Amazing to think about. Oh, and on the lighter side, I laughed out loud when you said you were a "Dragon Dawn tart, pimping it every chance I get." Ah ha! That's the name of my new street team, the DD Tarts! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hairs stood up on my arms when you told me what your grandmother said so young. I read that babies often come in still with past life memory and then it fades after time. It sounds like your grandmother either still had her memories or came into this life holding the wisdom of many lives. And love your street team name!

      Delete
    2. Did you ladies know that apparently with reincarnation, we have a group of people we get reincarnated with? In that whoever may be your mother in this life, may be your brother in the next? Close friends are in this group too. I think that's such a lovely idea too.

      Delete
    3. Cait, I've heard that, too. It's comforting to know we are all in this together, whatever together actually is. I think it may be a journey toward enlightenment. That's a nice thought.

      Delete
  15. Thanks, Joanna. My grandmother always said I was her soul mate and that we had been through many lives together. She died in 1986. I wonder where she is now, and if I'll ever see her again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Likewise, Deborah. I've really enjoyed getting to know you better too :). Let's raise a glass to Dragon Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your kind comments, Ukash. I'm raising my mug of tea to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cait, thanks for spotlighting my UK 99 p deal!

    ReplyDelete